Monday, July 30, 2012

Rebecca Mauldin: The Benefits of Improv


Here at BoHo Theatre, we love it when our company members are out and active in the local theatre community. What better way than to take classes? 

From the desk of Casting Associate, Rebecca Mauldin: The Benefits of Improvisation 


I've been taking improv at the Second City since the Fall of last year, and I have to say it is one of the most exciting acting adventures I've embarked on of late.

I'm always of the mind that as artists, we should do something that challenges us. And improv has always been that for me. In a play, we have lines to memorize and blocking and structure. In improv, nothing is set. Is it scary? YES! Is it absolutely thrilling? YES! I am in love.

Acting teachers have enocuraged me to take improv classes in the past, to which I have always responded, "Why would I do that? Oh, God!". However, I have completely changed my mind. It has made me a more flexible, creative actor. I am able to listen better and live in the moment more fully.

Also, if you take improv, your agent will love you. True story.

Anyway, this is my long-winded way of saying that improvisation will strengthen your acting abilities and is also super fun! And who knows, you may find you want to explore this art even more. I'm hooked.

-- Rebecca Mauldin is a Casting Associate at BoHo Theatre. Keep your eyes pealed for her as she continue to explore her talents throughout Chicagoland.

No comments :

Post a Comment