Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My Corner of the Sky: From Assistant Director, Anna Hammonds

I have lately become fascinated with how process works when an actor is fighting for the life a character during rehearsals.  With the great opportunity to assist for Boho's up-coming production of Pippin, I have a front row seat to the actors working through their process.  They are doing a fantastic job of staying focused and professional, and I am delighted to see them really fight for the character's journey.  

Perhaps the most intriguing part of this rehearsal process is seeing actors Shaun Nathan Baer and Travis Porchia define the dynamic between their two characters.  Playing Pippin and Leading Player, respectively, they carry the weight of the show on their shoulders.  And they are doing so with grace, concern and the utmost care.  There is a sort of protectiveness that happens when an actor truly cares for his or her character.  I believe all the actors in Pippin are doing an amazing job of protecting the integrity of the playwright's intention, while crafting a unique and different take that is all their own.  

The journey has been amazing thus far, and everyone's process has been so enlightening to watch.  Director Peter Marston Sullivan's vision for the show has been inspiring to watch unfold, and Brenda Didier's choreography has made me squeal in rehearsal.  And I'm not kidding.  A couple of times she has asked what was wrong when such outbursts occur, to which I can only reply, "It just looks so good. I can't wait."  And that is the truth.  I can't wait for our audience to join us.

For more information on BoHo's production of Pippin, please visit our website and don't forget to buy your tickets. We look forward to seeing you there.



1 comment :