Thursday, January 5, 2012

Tartuffe: A Funny, Smart and Timeless Piece

Hi, I'm Christa Buck and I play Elmire in BoHo Theatre's production of Tartuffe.  Ever since I first saw this show at the Court Theatre when I was in high school, Tartuffe has been a favorite show of mine. I love that it's funny, smart, and timeless. There are always people like Tartuffe, a con man with charisma, who feed on the weakness and insecurities of others for their own benefit.  But, there are also people like those found in the family members who love each other fiercely; they will band together and protect each other from such a jerk!


Another reason I love this play is that Moliere's women are very strong characters. Even within the constraints of the time period, Elmire is smart and savvy. In a way she is not unlike Tartuffe in that she can manipulate others to get what she wants.  What sets her apart from the title character, though, is her intentions are for the good of her family, and not just herself.  I really like her!  I'm reminded of the mom in My Big Fat Greek Wedding when she tells her daughter "The man may be the head of the family, but the woman is the neck, and she can turn the head any way she wants."


I hope you enjoy seeing the show!

-- Christa Buck, is a member of the cast of Tartuffe opening soon at Theater Wit! She is also very happy to be a Packer Fan!

No comments :

Post a Comment